Seven Benefits of Adding an Enclosed Sunroom onto Your Home
Do you have a patio that is exposed all day long to direct sunlight? Enjoying your patio is then not much fun, especially during the hot Texas summers! Even during the fall, winter, and spring months, the weather can still get rather hot and humid. Not to mention, there are pests of all sorts that can make spending time outdoors even less fun and exciting.
If you have a patio on your home but rarely use it for these or other reasons, you should consider this trendy patio design idea: Convert the patio into an enclosed sunroom! An enclosed patio not only makes it possible for you to fully utilize the entire space of your home by gaining additional living space but also to enjoy the outdoors without worrying about the weather or pests.
If you do not have a patio on the back of your home, you can still add a sunroom onto your home for a fully functional living space. Aside from increasing the usable living space of your home, here some seven more benefits you can enjoy when you have our Houston concrete contractors add an enclosed sunroom onto your home:
- Sunrooms create a multi-function space for everyone. You can use your sunroom as a space to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can also use the space to entertain guests. Other options for your sunroom are a playroom for your children; a family room to read and relax; an indoor garden to grow flowers, vegetables, herbs, and other plants; and an exercise/fitness room. You could even use the space as a guest room for those times when friends and family visit from out-of-town.
- Sunrooms are an affordable addition to your home. The costs to finish a basement, convert a garage, or add an entirely new room onto your home can be much more than adding on a sunroom. This is because sunrooms are easier to build than other types of additions. Most sunrooms have three sides that face outward and all have windows and possibly a door.
- Sunrooms will increase the value of your home. A sunroom adds additional useable square footage to your home. As a result, it will increase how much your home is worth. Should you ever decide to sell your home, you can expect to sell your house for more with a sunroom compared to an uncovered and open patio.
- Sunrooms allow more light into your home. If you do not have a lot of windows in your home, adding a sunroom can help bring in more natural light and liven up your home. This will help save money on electricity in the living spaces next to the sunroom.
- Sunrooms give the perception of an open floor plan. If you have a more traditional floor plan which is not open, your home can feel closed off. A sunroom and its large open windows will change how you view the living space where it is attached to the home. You will also notice the new living space feels larger and open.
- Sunrooms allow you to enjoy the outdoors year round. With a sunroom, you can enjoy getting fresh air without having to deal with the blazing hot sun, mosquitoes, and other pests. Various designs incorporate the use of different features that allow you to open and close parts of the sunroom so you can use it as a covered patio some of the time and an enclosed room the rest of the time.
- Sunrooms improve your overall health and well-being. There are health benefits of being exposed to natural sunlight—like the production of vitamin D, as well as fresh air. Not to mention, it helps improve our minds. When you spend time using your sunroom, you can take in the beauty of the outdoors in your private space. This helps you relax and unwind while reducing stress and anxiety.
Now that you have discovered some of the great benefits you can gain by having a sunroom added to your home by our Houston concrete contractors, let’s look at some of the different design options to get you inspired.
Sunroom Design Ideas for Your Home
There are two general types of sunrooms: three-season sunrooms and four-season sunrooms. Three-season sunrooms are well suited in areas that do not get too hot or too cold. They are not heated or cooled unless you use ceiling fans and space heaters.
Four-season sunrooms are built connected to your home’s heating and cooling system. This allows you to enjoy the room year round, no matter how hot or cold it is outside. Some designs will feature the option to turn the heat on and off in the sunroom without affecting the rest of the home.
Another benefit of four-season sunrooms is that they include insulated windows and added insulation to better regulate temperatures. In Houston, due to our hot Texas summers, a four-season room would be a good choice to keep you cool while spending time relaxing in your sunroom.
If you want added privacy, you can consider tinted windows that allow sunlight in but make it difficult for anyone to look in the windows. Other privacy options include sunshades, blinds, and curtains.
The sunroom is normally built on the back of the home where the existing patio is located. If you have a raised/elevated deck on your home, the sunroom can be built on the deck with a few design modifications to account for the added weight of the walls, windows, and roof.
However, you are free to have a sunroom built on any part of your home. For example, if you have a stand-alone covered patio area next to your pool deck, you could enclose this area and convert this space into a year-round sunroom.
Some people choose to have their patio doors removed and the opening made bigger so the sunroom flows naturally and creates a larger and open living space. Other people decide to keep sliding doors and treat the sunroom as a separate room.
On the exterior walls of the sunroom, there are several different window and door ideas. You could use traditional windows that feature screens and can be opened to allow fresh air inside. Another trendy option is the use of sliding walls. This is where sections of the exterior walls can slide out of the way to open up the enclosure and make it more like a covered patio.
Some people decide to have a cover put over the entire patio, but they only enclose part of the space for the sunroom. This design idea allows you to have a sunroom to enjoy year-round and also a covered patio to enjoy on cooler evenings and cooler times of the year. With the cover providing shade, you could still be outdoors on warmer days with a few ceiling fans!
Interior design ideas are limitless. You could have an outdoor kitchen installed where you can cook meals. Some people have a fireplace installed for those colder winter nights. You may even want to add a hot tub and wall-mounted big screen TV with a surround sound system. You can sit and relax in the hot tub, after a long day at work, watching your favorite programs, sports, or movies!
As you can see, you are free to determine what interior elements you want to include so let your imagination run wild. Our sunroom and patio construction Houston company offers a wide range of design ideas, including patio covers, pergolas, enclosed patios, and sunrooms to create the perfect outdoor space for you!
If you already have a design idea in mind, we will work with you to transform your idea into reality. For further information about sunroom and patio ideas for your home, please feel free to contact Cross Construction Services at 713-254-1703 today! We would be happy to discuss your needs and provide you with a free quote.